The annual ARA public awareness campaign ‘Explore Your Archives’ is now in its fourth year in the Ireland region. As with previous years, there has been great interest from archive services all around the island with many events planned, story boxes created, and exhibitions and newly accessible collections being launched.
A tiny flavour of these include:
- National Archives of Ireland: Free talk on the recently completed report on the Survey of Hospital Archives in Ireland. The Survey of Hospital Records in Ireland is the fruits of a project conducted by the National Archives of Ireland, with support from the Wellcome Trust. It draws together archivists and historians to discuss the current state of Irish medical archives, and aims to draw attention to the myriad of issues that practitioners face when dealing with historical health and medical archives.
- National Library of Ireland: Free talk on the National Library’s web archiving programme and other activities connected with their 2016 Web Archiving project. This project aims to archive websites surrounding the commemorations of both the 1916 Easter Rising and the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of the Somme. This will capture snap shots of not only the state led official commemorations, but also smaller locally organised events in libraries, museums and communities throughout the country to give a complete picture of what is happening online in 2016.
- IFI Irish Film Archive: Archive open day and promotion of the recently launched IFI Player. The IFI Player is a virtual viewing room for the remarkable collections of the IFI Irish Film Archive, giving audiences across the globe instant access to this rich heritage. The material includes home movies, newsreels, travelogues, animations, feature films, public information films and documentaries reflecting all aspects of indigenous amateur and professional production.
- Cork City and County Archives: Promotion of Cork City and County Archives’ online digital archive, including the recently launched Liam de Róiste Diaries and Wilkie Collection.
- Galway County Council Archives: Launch of the Gort Poor Law Union Collection online as part of general promotion of Galway County Council Archives’ Digital Archive.
Again this year, an Explore Your Archive campaign launch event has been organised and will take place on the evening of Thursday 17 November 2016 at 18:00 in the Crypt of Dublin City Hall. The Explore Your Archive campaign will be launched by this year’s campaign ambassador Catherine Murphy TD. Deputy Murphy is joint-leader of the Social Democrat Party and a long standing supporter of Irish archives and heritage in general.
EDITOR NOTES: Please share and comment on this with consideration for others please …